Have you ever used a dog harness before or are you planning to try out a new harness style on your dog? Either way, it is easy to get tangled up in the process of trying out a harness on your pooch. This is because there are different harness styles with different sets of benefits. Fortunately, it is very easy to find out how to use a dog harness.
To know how to use a dog harness properly, you first have to know the type of harness that is right for your dog. Knowing how to choose the right type of harness for your dog is very important. This is because walking your dog should not only be enjoyable to you alone. Your pet should enjoy the experience.
Dog Harness Styles
Here are the different types of harnesses that you can use depending on the type of dog you have and the situation.
This type of harness is the easiest style for dogs to adjust to. However, such harnesses are best for calm dogs that have been trained against pulling on the leash. They are also good for dogs that get easily irritated by the collars.
2. Front-Clip Harness
This type of harness usually features a leash attachment in the front, usually centrally positioned on your dog’s chest. The front-clip harness is usually good for training dogs since it can help to minimize how often your dog pulls on the leash.
Another benefit of using this type of harness is that it gives you better control of what direction your dog is going while you are walking him.
3. Vest Harness
It is made of mesh material and comes in a range of colors and styles. This style usually resembles a vest.
4. No-Pull Harness
This type of harness is designed to discourage your canine friend from pulling. It has a leash attachment ring that will rest on your pooch’s chest. Whenever your dog pulls away from you, the harness will tighten and add pressure so that your dog stays close to you.
5. Step-in Harness
This kind of harness has been designed to be easily worn by your dog since you will just lay it on the ground then let your dog step over it. After the dog has stepped on it, close it on his back.
Here’s How to put on a Dog Harness
Knowing how to put on a harness is very important. This is because if you put on a harness incorrectly, it can lead to a lot of problems. For example, your dog will constantly feel the urge to pull against the harness as he attempts to make himself comfortable. You might thus misjudge your dog by thinking that he is misbehaving when in the real sense; he is just trying to make himself comfortable.
A harness that has been put on incorrectly can also restrict your dog’s gait. His body movements will change since the harness will restrict his range of motion. However, this step by step guide will help you know how to put a harness on your dog in the right way.
1. Putting on a Standard Dog Harness
Since there are different types of harnesses, you will be required to put them on differently. Let’s start with how you can put on a standard dog harness. A standard harness has two loops, one around the ribs and one around the neck.
- Put your dog in a standing position by either standing or squatting behind the dog. However, make sure that you do this when your dog is calm.
- Position the harness so that the D-ring is on your dog’s back. Slip the harness over your dog’s head. The loop with the buckle should go in first. The narrower loop should go in last.
- Slip the leg of your dog through the leg holes of the harness. Make sure that the leg of your dog is between the loop that goes around the ribs and the one that goes around the neck.
- Buckle the harness to make sure that the other leg is in the proper leg hole. Adjust the buckle of the harness so that it can fit properly. To make sure that the harness is secure, try to pull it over your dog’s head.
2. Putting on a Step-In Dog Harness
The difference between a standard dog harness and a step-in harness is that a standard harness forms rectangles around your dog’s legs. A step-in harness on the other hand forms triangles. Putting on a step-in harness is very easy.
- Lay the harness flat on the ground. This will allow you to see the two triangles clearly.
- Place your dog’s front feet in the two triangles by holding him from behind.
- Clip the two ends of the harness together on your dog’s back. Adjust the harness accordingly to make sure that it fits your dog comfortably.
3. Putting on a Front-Clip Dog Harness
This type of harness has one loop that goes around the ribs and a strap that goes around your dog’s chest. Here are steps on how you can put on this type of harness.
- While your dog is calmly sitting or standing, kneel to his right side.
- Place the loop of the dog harness over the head of your pooch. Make sure that the label of the harness sits on your dog’s left shoulder. The metallic ring of the leash should centrally rest on your dog’s chest.
- Tighten the belly strap underneath your dog’s belly.
- Adjust the dog harness to make sure that it fits your dog perfectly.
Before you head out with your dog, there are some few things that you should double-check to make sure that the harness has fit properly. First of all, check all the straps to ensure that they are fastened correctly.
Next, make sure the harness does not slide over too far to either side of your dog. You can do this by trying to move the harness side to side. Lastly, make sure that the harness does not rub against your dog’s skin. The harness should also not constrict the dog’s movement.
There you have it on how to use a dog harness. One final piece of advice is that you should make sure that you put on the harness calmly, confidently and gently.