No matter how we put it, dogs will always be man’s best friend. This is the reality of our relationship with these wonderful creatures because that’s just how nature works. It’s because of this that we need to make sure that our dogs receive the most amount of care. It’s because after all, they deserve it.
This is especially true for Labrador Retrievers or labs. This specific dog breed needs to receive a high amount of attention and care because of their body’s framework. Not only do they need attention, but they also need to have a really good hygiene. Now, there are a lot of ways to do that. However, the best one is by using a dog brush.
Luckily, you’ve found this article, as we’re going to show you the best brush for labs you can use. And not only that, because we’ll also be supplying you with tons of info and knowledge that’ll surely make you a better dog owner.
How We Pick the Best Brush for Labs
Labs or Labrador Retrievers usually have a smooth coat that has a double layer. They don’t easily get any mats and tangles because of the naturally shiny and smooth texture of their hair, and that’s why they look gorgeous and fantastic when compared to other dog breeds. A lab’s hair is also short and dense, which makes them easy to maintain. And best of all, their coat doesn’t absorb too much water, so they’re less likely to get dirty.
Top Brush for Labrador Retriever Reviews
1. Best Brush for Labrador Retriever Overall: Chris Christensen Soft Tufted Boar Brush
If you’d like a brush that would improve the hygiene of your Labrador, then what you need is the Chris Christensen Soft Tufted Boar Brush. But don’t get us wrong because this one’s not just for cleaning your lovely dog. This one is also made to make sure that they’re going to have a healthy and shiny looking coat.
This is a soft tufted brush, which means that its bristles are very smooth. It’s just like brushing your dog with very soft cotton balls. The only difference is that this one is very effective in removing dirt and dust from their coat. If you’re the kind of person who doesn’t want to get fancy with their dog products, then you’ll surely love it.
And take note that this one’s made by Chris Christensen, a reputable and world-class maker of dog and pet grooming products. With this alone, you’ll surely have the peace of mind you deserve in knowing that this one will work perfectly.
When using this brush, you’ll find eight rows of bristles. And its bristles are made from natural boar, which shows that this one’s a premium and high-quality product. It’s also 0.75 inches long, which is just the ideal length for a brush that’s going to be used on a Labrador.
Things We Liked
- It’s a very soft brush because of its bristles textures. But it isn’t soft on a negative note, but in a positive one. It’s because of its softness that your dog will surely feel the comfort and relaxation it deserves. And this one’s not only for the sake of comfort, but it’s because of its softness that your dog is more likely to have a better mood.
- It’s also a great way to make your dog’s coat shine. This is made possible thanks to its bristles that are made from the natural boar. It’s because of its natural materials that it improves the texture of your Labrador’s coat, knowing that they have a different kind of coat, something which is a little bit too fine and short.
- The bristles are also very durable. They don’t easily get damaged, wrinkled, or pulled off. This is a brush that’d surely stand the tests of time.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Yes, the bristles are durable. But they’re also a bit too soft. Though it does its job great, there are times when its softness makes it lack strength. But this doesn’t always happen, just sometimes.
- There’s a bit of firmness issue when it comes to its very soft bristles. You’ll get used to it when you’ve used this for a much longer time.
2. Best glove brush for Labrador Retriever: Pet Thunder Pet Hair Remover
Pet Grooming Glove Brush for Dog and Cat Deshedding - Better Petter by Pet Thunder
The Pet Thunder Pet Hair Remover is something that you need if you want to make the most out of your time with your Labrador. Why? It’s because you can brush them while petting them. Isn’t that just great? Having the capability to caress your dog while cleaning them at the same time? It’s a great way to get rid of loose pet hair.
But not only that, as this one is also great when it comes to trapping the dirt and dust in the gloves. This way, the germs don’t go flying everywhere. Yes, that’s how much of a genius the guys at Pet Thunder are. And this one’s not only for Labrador Retrievers, as this can be used on all dog breeds. It’s designed in a way that it can work on different coat types, be it long, short, or medium-length. This will even work whether the coat is wet or dry.
That’s how cool and all-around this brush is. You’ll find its adjustable touch fastener very useful too because this makes it easily fit all hand sizes. But what seals the deal with this one is that it has a lifetime warranty. This just proves that the maker of this brush is very confident that it will last a lifetime.
Things We Liked
- There are a lot of good things I can say about this brush. But what I like most is that it’s a great tool for grooming. The way it’s designed is just perfect for grooming because you can clean hard-to-reach places with this one.
- It’s also great when it comes to removing tiny loose hairs from their body, which is why this is the brush of choice of dog owners who want to dwell into even the tiniest details of their dog.
- This works well on Labrador Retrievers because its bristles are perfectly complementary to their soft fine fur.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The spikes are placed too far from each other. Though it has its advantages, it still feels and looks pretty odd. It would be better if it’s placed nearer.
- This one is perfect for short haired dogs like Labrador Retrievers. However, this isn’t that great if you’re going to use it with long-haired dogs.
3. Best Rubber Grooming Brush for Labrador Retriever: Le Salon Essentials Rubber Grooming Brush
The Le Salon Essentials Rubber Grooming Brush is another one I’d like to recommend to you because of its effectiveness in removing loose hair. If your Labrador is shedding, then this one is what you need to use on their coat.
This is the perfect brush for dog owners that want to ensure that their dog gets in the best shape possible. Use this if you’re going to give your lab a bathe. Why? It’s because this works at its best when it’s wet. And the best time to be wet is when your dog is bathing. It’s made from a high-quality rubber material which assures you that it’ll work still well no matter how frequent you use it.
It’s also easy to clean and is ideal for short-haired dogs like Labrador Retrievers. Looking at its design, you’ll see that its teeth are scattered in a way which isn’t too far or too near to each other. It’s because of this design that it’s able to absorb maximum dirt and dust as it gets it from the natural contours of your dog.
Things We Liked
- It’s a brush that’s very comfortable to hold and use even for an extended amount of time. It’s very light as it only weighs 3.2 ounces. The way its handle is designed is also made in a way that will prevent any unnecessary strain on your hands.
- I see this as a very effective and efficient grooming brush for your dog. Its design, measurement, and the materials it’s made of are just what you need to get rid of loose hair, dust, and germs from your lab’s skin.
- The design looks great. It doesn’t look like a rubbish piece of the object because it’s visually pleasing.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This one’s not that suitable if you’re going to use it on a dog that has long hair. So as much as possible, limit it to using on your Labrador only.
- Loose hair, dirt, and dust can easily be lodged on the spikes of the brush. But it’s a bit hard to remove.
How Often Should You Brush Your Labrador?
Brushing your Labrador is very important because it’s through this that you’re able to reduce its chances of reducing its shedding. Though it depends on your dog on how you should brush them regularly, it’s recommended that your lab gets groomed or brushed every other day. This is especially true if they’re experiencing extreme shedding.
But if they’re not shedding too much, then brushing them two to three times a week will do. Just brush them lightly and gently. This way, you’re able to remove loose fur without causing pain to their skin. It’s also through this that you’re able to make it easier for new hair to grow.
Pro TipsRefrain from using a coarse brush as much as possible. This can easily cause irritation and other skin complications on your Labrador. Choose a brush that has soft bristles that are firm enough but not too hard or sharp. Take note that you’ll know if a dog is healthy or not by knowing its shedding intensity. If it’s shedding too much, there’s a possibility that your Labrador is malnourished. If so, then feed them with highly nutritious foods that are rich in protein, fats, and other essential vitamins.
Top Tips for Grooming and Brushing Your Labrador
1. Proper Brushing
It’s very important for you always to make sure that you brush your Labrador. It’s through this that you’re able to make sure that they’re free from germs, dirt, and other microbes that might be lurking on their skin. You can brush them once a week. However, the frequency still depends on your dog or their activities. There are some instances where you need to brush them two times a week or even three times.
When brushing them, make sure that you use a brush that has bristles that are made from high-quality nylon material. This way, you’re making sure that it can get the dirt and stains off from them. This also stimulates their skin’s natural oils and spreads them evenly throughout the surface of their skin.
2. Regular Inspection
It’s important for you to start each grooming section with a series of simple petting strokes. This way, you’ll discover if there are any bumps, lumps, or dry patches on their skin. It’s a great way to know if your Labrador needs a serious medical treatment. Inspection is highly recommended especially if your dog is always moving from one place to another.
However, you also need to make sure that when you’re inspecting them, you’re doing it gently. Never force it. If they don’t like you to inspect their skin, then do it later when they’re in a better mood. You don’t need to take away their liberty just to enact something that you’d like to do to them. Be patient and know that they’ll let you inspect them later.
3. Regular Bathing
Making sure that your Labrador is often bathed with the best dog shampoo is important when it comes to ensuring their hygiene. However, it doesn’t mean that you need to bathe them always. Only bathe them when necessary. You’ll know if it’s necessary if they’re already itching always or if they start to have a bad smell or show signs of discomfort. The reason why too frequent bathing isn’t recommended is that this will dry up their skin.
And when their skin dries up, this result in a series of skin problems just like bacterial growth, allergies, and itching. There are even some instances when this can cause dermatitis, which is what you don’t want your dog to experience. This happens because your Labrador needs to have its natural oils surrounding its entire body. These natural oils are what lubricates their skin and act as a protective layer against dirt and other germs.
4. Eye Cleaning
Another important thing to consider when grooming your Labrador is by checking their eyes. Check if there are any discharges or irritations forming on their eyes. Also, check if it’s too red or if it’s yellowish. If yes, then there might be a hidden and underlying medical condition your Labrador is experiencing. You can use a cotton ball when wiping their eyes and getting rid of discharges.
Pro TipsHere’s a bonus tip to everyone. It’s highly recommended for you to use the brush that has soft bristles because these are the ones that are most comfortable to your dog’s skin. You can also use a rubber brush. Just be sure that it’s made from hypoallergenic material so that your Labrador won’t have any skin irritations.
To sum it all up, it’s very important for you to make sure that your Labrador Retriever or your lab to get the best possible treatment and care from you. After all, they’re the ones that give you happiness and comfort when you feel down. They’re also your companion for life, which is why they’re very important to be taken care of. But then again, it’s a bit tricky to do the caring.
Fortunately, you’ve found this article and knew that it’s about getting the best brush for labs that you’re able to ensure their best possible welfare and wellbeing. Hopefully, you’ve learned a lot from this article, because it’s not only you who benefits from this but your most precious lab as well.